For a business, ADA compliance is essential to ensure that they are providing an equal opportunity for all customers. By being compliant with the ADA, businesses can avoid lawsuits and ensure that their customers have a positive experience.
According to the 2016 National Disability Survey, there are approximately 56.7 million people in the United States with disabilities. This accounts for approximately 19% of the population, which literally translates to a demographic who can also be potential customers of any business establishment, big or small.
That is why, being compliant with the ADA guidelines is important because it helps to level the playing field for people with disabilities, and businesses that are compliant with the ADA can show that they are committed to providing an inclusive environment.
So what are the essential features to ensure ADA compliance? If you want to know more about this, we suggest you continue reading as we’re going to go into the details of this matter to help your business be more disabled-friendly.
Key Features And Additional Considerations You Can Do To Ensure ADA Compliance
There are a few key features that businesses should look for when ensuring ADA compliance. And these include the following:
– Making sure that all entryways and exits are accessible for people with disabilities.
– Having appropriate signage to indicate accessible features. In particular, you need to make sure that they have signs that indicate where accessible parking is located. The sign should be placed in a spot that is visible to people who are looking for accessible parking. The sign should also include the International Symbol of Accessibility, which is a blue and white wheelchair symbol.
– Offering wheelchair-accessible seating in public areas.
– Ensuring that restrooms are ADA compliant.
– Providing handicap-accessible parking.
– Making sure that all public areas are accessible.
– Ensuring that customer service is accommodating to people with disabilities.
Other than that, here are some other things you can include to make your parking space and your business location ADA Compliant:
– A website that is accessible to people with disabilities. This means that the website must be able to be navigated by people who use screen readers or other assistive technology.
– Physical locations that are accessible to people with disabilities. This includes ensuring that there is an accessible entrance and exit, as well as restrooms and other amenities.
– Employees who are trained on how to interact with customers with disabilities. This training should cover things like how to properly communicate with someone who is deaf or has a speech impairment.
– Providing Braille or large print materials upon request.
By ensuring that these key features are in place, businesses can show their commitment to ADA compliance and provide a more inclusive environment for all of their customers.
Corresponding Fines For Not Being Able To Comply With The ADA Guidelines
If your business fails to comply with the ADA guidelines, you may be subject to fines.
To be specific, the fines for not complying with ADA guidelines can be quite steep. There are a few tiers of fines, depending on how severe the noncompliance is. For example, businesses that don’t comply with ADA guidelines regarding signage can be fined up to $75,000 for the first violation and up to $150,000 for each subsequent violation. Not providing handicap-accessible parking can result in a fine of up to $55,000 for the first violation and up to $110,000 for each subsequent violation.
How A Professional Paving Company Can Help You To Make Your Business ADA Compliant?
If you’re looking for help making your business ADA compliant, a professional paving company like Highway Masters Paving can assist you. They can help by creating a plan for making your property accessible, and then implementing that plan. This can include things such as installing ramps, widening doorways, and adding signage. Working with a professional paving company can ensure that your property is ADA compliant and help you avoid any potential penalties.
And if you’re worried about the cost, it is not expensive to hire a paving company to make your business ADA Compliant. In fact, many companies offer free consultations to help businesses figure out what needs to be done to become compliant. Of course, many businesses choose to do the work themselves, which can save on costs. But it is always best to consult with a professional to ensure that everything is done correctly.
Overall, making your business ADA compliant shows that you care for your disabled customers. By meeting the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act, you are ensuring that everyone has an equal opportunity to enjoy your establishment. This includes people who use wheelchairs, have difficulty walking, or experience other disabilities.
By taking simple these steps, you can ensure a positive customer experience for all customers and allow your business to prosper even further.